Whether in an RV or a sticks-and-bricks house, mold is a 4-letter word no one wants to hear! Did you know that during colder months, the walls of your RV are likely to sweat? This can lead to costly repairs or even health concerns. Let’s learn how to prevent it with RV dehumidifiers.
Table of Contents
- What Are RV Dehumidifiers?
- Why Do You Need an RV Dehumidifier?
- What to Look for When Shopping for RV Dehumidifiers
- 6 Best RV Dehumidifiers
- RV Dehumidifiers: An Easy Choice!
What Are RV Dehumidifiers?
RV dehumidifiers are typically more compact than those found in homes. By reducing the amount of moisture and condensation in your RV, dehumidifiers can help mitigate the chance of mold growth.
The dehumidifier pulls water from the air and stores it in a reservoir that you should check and empty regularly. RVers who plan to spend time in moist or humid environments should plan to purchase at least one dehumidifier, if not more.
You can also encounter moisture build-up when cold weather camping. Water vapor from your breath or using water inside the RV can condense on cold walls or windows.
Why Do You Need an RV Dehumidifier?
Moisture buildup in an RV is a nightmare. Significant damage occurs where there’s little circulation and temperature changes, like inside storage compartments and under mattresses or bed frames. In these spots, condensation can quickly turn into mold and cause a battle you don’t want to fight.
If left unchecked, mold can win the battle before you’re even aware there’s an issue. It can cause severe health conditions and ruin your RV carpets, mattresses, and wooden structures. Be proactive in this battle and invest in an RV dehumidifier before your next trip.
What to Look for When Shopping for RV Dehumidifiers
There are many RV dehumidifier options. Let’s take a look at some essential qualities you should consider first.
Size and Capacity
RV dehumidifiers come in all sizes. When selecting a dehumidifier, RVers must balance practicality and available storage space. A 43’ toy hauler needs a different dehumidifier capacity than a campervan, for example.
Standard RV dehumidifiers will store 16-36 ounces of liquid, but some units keep 230+ ounces. If you need your dehumidifier for a larger rig, and you often travel in more humid climates, consider a larger unit.
How do you spend most of your time camping? If you usually connect your RV to a power source, you have a lot more options.
Boondockers and those that enjoy being off-grid have more concerns regarding power consumption. If power usage is important to you, research and prepare for your RV dehumidifier’s additional power consumption.
6 Best RV Dehumidifiers
With a little more knowledge in your pocket about how to choose an RV dehumidifier, it’s time to look at specific units. Here are six options you may want to consider:
1. ALROCKET RV Dehumidifier
The Alrocket Dehumidifier is a portable option that covers 260 square feet. The holding tank has a capacity of 35oz, so there’s less frequent emptying.
- High-Efficiency Dehumify：ALROCKET portable dehumidifier with...
- Ultra Quiet: ALROCKET small dehumidifier Built-in Thermo-Electric...
- Energy Saving-Healthy: This mini dehumidifier is effective and...
The energy usage comes to 40W an hour, making it less than a kW a day, even when it’s running at all times. This dehumidifier has an auto-shutoff so that it won’t overfill. What’s more, the Alrocket easily sits on counter spaces, and you can move it around as needed.
2. ProBreeze Electric Dehumidifier
If a smaller humidifier is appealing to you, you might be interested in the ProBreeze Electric Dehumidifier. This compact unit works great wherever you need it to, even on the countertop.
- Large Coverage 1200-2200 Cubic Feet: The Pro Breeze Dehumidifier...
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut...
- Lightweight, Compact and Portable: Capable of removing up to 9...
It’s smaller with an 18oz storage reservoir. When the holding tank is full, it will auto-shutoff to avoid overfilling. This unit is energy efficient and claims to be “whisper quiet.” It’s a great option if you’re looking for a dehumidifier for 150 square feet or less.
More RV Gear & Upgrades Articles:
- 5 Best RV Dishwashers for Making RV Life Even Better
- What Is a Dry Flush Toilet?
- What You Need to Know About RV Mattress Sizes
3. Seavon RV Dehumidifiers
The Seavon RV Dehumidifier is a budget-friendly and compact unit that will fit almost anywhere! The reserve tank is 16 ounces, which is not much, but the auto-shutoff will prevent overflowing when the tank reaches capacity.
- 【High-Efficiency Work】:The SEAVON Dehumidifier can...
- 【Auto-Shut off Function】: Compact dehumidifier shut-off...
- 【Ultra-Quiet& Efficient】: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling...
This dehumidifier is ideal for spaces under 205 square feet. Like most small RV dehumidifiers, it doesn’t use a compressor, which helps keep it quiet.
4. Honati Dehumidifier
Those looking for a larger holding tank will appreciate the Honati Dehumidifier. The holding tank is 67oz. The dehumidifier will auto-shutoff once full, and you’ll appreciate the unit’s quiet operation. This dehumidifier is best for spaces up to 269 square feet. While this dehumidifier is larger than most counter-sized options, it can still be easily moved.
- High Efficient: This home dehumidifier with 2000ml capacity can...
- Ultra Quiet: This electric dehumidifier powered by advanced...
- Auto Shut Off: Built in automatic shut off protection prevents...
5. LONOVE RV Dehumidifier
The Lonove RV Dehumidifier is ideal for spaces under 165 square feet. This unit has a reserve tank of 27oz, and it will auto shut off when the reserve is full. It’s also highly efficient, so you don’t need to worry about it taking up too much power.
- ➤HIGH EFFICIENT DEHUMIDIFICATION - Our small dehumidifier...
- ➤CREATE A HEALTHY & COMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT - Breath Fresh Air...
- ➤MUlTI-PURPOSE BUT ULTRA QUEIT - This Dehumidifiers for home...
This dehumidifier runs quietly and continuously. Plus, it will fit on your countertop and is easy to move if needed.
6. Invisipure Hydrowave Dehumidifier
Despite being a compact dehumidifier, the Invisipure Hydrowave Dehumidifier covers up to 300 square feet. It will auto-shutoff when the 64oz tank has reached its capacity.
Additionally, users can attach a small hose to the unit for continuous drainage instead of filling the reserve tank. Users will appreciate the quiet nature of this dehumidifier and its efficiency.
- HEALTH BENEFITS - Protect your home from mold, mildew, and...
- SMALL & COMPACT - Compact and lightweight so you can easily move...
- QUIET & EFFICIENT - Removes up to 27 ounces / 800 ml / 1.7 pints...
RV Dehumidifiers: An Easy Choice!
Deciding to buy an RV dehumidifier is an easy choice, even if it isn’t an exciting purchase. However, the comfort of knowing you won’t discover mold damage is something to get excited about!
Which style of dehumidifier fits your travel needs? Drop a comment below!
Become a Mortons on the Move Insider:
Join 0ver 7000+ RVers and travel enthusiasts that are the first to get our latest updates on RV Travel, RV Gear, RV Solar & Electrical Mods, and more! Each Sunday you will also get a new RV Comic straight to your inbox!
Read More from the Mortons: