Living Full-Time in an RV
The idea came to us on our way home from a tropical vacation that neither of us wanted to end. It was winter in Michigan – a fact of life we were used to, but after the sun and warmth of the vacation, it was still hard to return home.
“I wish we could work remotely from wherever we wanted to be,” one of us said.
….well, wait a minute. Why couldn’t we?
We had been entrepreneurs before, and had always planned to try it again. Could there be a way for us to combine our desire to travel, “follow the sun,” and still make a living?
This led to a little brainstorming and research, and what we found was that we weren’t the only ones looking for this type of lifestyle! Luckily for us, the trail has been blazed by admirable role models like Gone with the Wynns, Technomadia, and many others who have only inspired us more and strengthened our belief that we could do it, and that it’s totally worth it!
“…I wish we could work remotely from wherever we wanted to be…”
The answer was simple really: it was the opportunity of a lifetime. We were craving for adventure. We wanted to try a change of lifestyle to one where a new adventure begins every day!
Our goal is to explore, discover, learn, make new friends and connections, and share the experience!
Initially we were planning about 1-2 years, and perhaps stop if we find that “perfect spot” or our interests change – but at the beginning of 2017 we determined that we could keep on doing this as long as we want! We are able to make money and travel, and as of now there is no end in sight.
It took a LOT of really hard work and over a year of preparation for us. While it sounds simplistic and easy to “pack all your bags and hit the road,” there are many complexities and difficulties in this endeavor. Here are just a few of them:
- Friends and Family – the hardest part of doing this is leaving the friends and family that are a normal part of our everyday, stationary lives. However, we plan to stay close no matter how far away we are!
- Animals – We had 2 horses, a cat, and 2 dogs when we first started planning this adventure. While the dogs are coming with us, we had to make arrangements for the rest of the crew.
- Possessions – While none of us want to be thought of as materialistic, you have to let go of a lot of “stuff” that you’ve collected over the years. You can’t take it with you.
- House – all the blood, sweat, and tears you’ve put into your house to make it just right…
- Saving up $$ and budgeting – While going on the road lowers our overhead costs overall, it’s a good idea to have a good reserve to fall back on. Also, this isn’t a long vacation, so we’ll be budgeting and watching costs just like we normally would.
- Jobs – giving notice and giving up the security of good-paying corporate jobs for the entrepreneurial life
- Starting a (mobile) business(es)
- New Home on Wheels – truck and fifth wheel acquisition and updates
- The essentials – health insurance, mail, residency, etc.
- Logistics – where to stay, how long, where to go, resources available, etc.
…and the list goes on. While it’s no fun to leave the people and things you care about, this experience has done a lot to “de-clutter” our lives and help us focus on the things that matter most to us!
Now that we are two years into this, we survive by working a number of remote jobs, take opportunities as they arise, and continue traveling supported by our network of fans – thank you!
Where are we going?
Besides a rough direction, we don’t really know. That’s part of the adventure! Our intent is to remain as flexible and plan-free as possible so that we can follow the opportunities as they arise.
Spring – Florida & New Zealand (March)
Summer – Michigan/Midwest
Fall & Winter – TBD
Where We Have Been
Year 2015 – The Start
July 2015 – Our kickoff journey! A week-long trip to Noblesville, Indiana for a friends wedding.
October 2015 – West Virginia to house sit for relatives
February 2016 – Make our way north from southern Florida through the panhandle
March 2016 – Florida to Washington, D.C. for the Cherry Blossoms!
June 2016 – Michigan – all the way up to the Upper Peninsula!
August 2017 – Whidbey Island, WA, Eastern Oregon for the Solar Eclipse!, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota
October 2017 – Michigan, Ohio
November 2017 – West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina
December ’17 – March ’18 – Florida
March 2018 – Start Heading West, via Louisiana, Texas
April 2018 – June 2018 – Wellington, TX for 1st leg of the RV Nomads Movie Production (Tom Director)
June – July 2018 – Colorado – 2nd leg of RV Nomads Movie Production
August – September 2018 – Drove the RV to Davenport, IA and stored it for a week while we drove the truck to West Virginia for a family wedding, then went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (with family)
Year 3 | September 2017 – September 2018 | Michigan – Florida – Colorado – Michigan October 2018 – Wellington TX for NomadFest.
January 2019 – Arizona for the 2019 Xscapers Annual Bash in Lake Havasu City.
Feb – April 2019 – Arizona/SoCal
April – Nov 2019 – Go North travels in Lance Truck Camper thru Canada, Alaska, and all the way to the Arctic Ocean! November – December 2019 – SoCal/Arizona
January – February 2020 – Florida for RV Buyers Bootcamp & the Tampa RV SuperShow, RVillage Rally, Southern Florida
March 2020 – New Zealand (Traveling Home From New Zealand During the Coronavirus Pandemic)
April-June 2020 – Florida, building the Ultimate Off-Grid RV Solar System